I first want to present a common scenario so you get the picture and ask yourself whether this is similar to you.
WORKING OFF THE CLOCK
Let's say you work at store and you are the closer. It's your job to count the money in the cash register, count the number of singles, count the number of $5 bills, count the number of $10 bills, and so on. You have to prepare the cash register for the next so it adds up to $100 including pennies, nickels, dimes, twenty $1 bills, ten $5 bills and so on. The drawer needs to be an even $100 for the morning shift. The remaining money all must all be separated, counted-out and placed into an envelope. You must then unlock the safe, place the envelope in the safe and lock the safe.
The catch, you must clock out on the cash register before you can complete the above tasks. You are not a manager, but an hourly employee. Payroll is calculated by the clock-in and clock-out data recorded on the cash register.
You just spent 20 minutes doing this and you have not even left the store. To leave the store you have to turn-on the alarm, exit the door and lock the door.
- Did you know Under this or similar scenarios it's illegal for an employer to not pay you for that unrecorded time?
- Why should you make a big deal out of this? Simple, it's all about the money. You are legally required to be compensated for all hours working at the direction and control of your employer.
- How much? How much? It could be regular time. It could be overtime pay. It could be large penalties you are entitled to.
- Assume your employer knows you are being taken advantage of and if your employer doesn't know the law, then too bad. Your employer won't forget the next time
- Your job is to make sure you are getting your pay.
I was raised by my parents “for a days work, you get paid a days wages.” Very simple philosophy. It's called “honesty.”
Here at The Law Offices Of Scott A. Miller, we have sued employers and recovered millions of dollars over the last 15 years.
If your job situation seems similar to the above Off The Clock scenario, call us for a no cost telephone consultation.
We can be reached toll free – 855 WAGE GUYS
You will be glad you callled.